Sunday, September 1, 2013



I ABSOLUTELY LIFTED ONE LINE FROM THE LAST PARAGRAPH FROM A PIECE BY S.K.BANERJEE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When I turned back, I saw this hot girl dancing. I could not take my eyes off her and suddenly our eyes met. Embarrassed, I looked away. But how could I? She was burning the dance floor. So I looked again and caught her smiling. She signalled me to come. Yes! Me! With gentle steps, trying to match the class of my dancing queen I reached her. She came closer and started swaying like breeze. The aroma that she exhibited set me up to a level higher. Already high from a couple of tequila shots, I closed my eyes to take in the moment and before I knew, my one hand was guided up to her bare back. She was too close. Discomfort.  All over me. I pacified myself thinking this is what I have forever wanted. I hoped to fix a date at the end of the evening. She was just the sexy girl I could flaunt to the world. Yes. Within a moment I found her mouth close to mine. Hopeful that I was, I began to decrease the few micro meters that existed. But she took her lips to my ears and with seductive voice murmured, “Room 404”. She handed me a card and walked away to a new friend for another comfortable dance. I looked at the card. The details.

Driving down I saw this beautiful girl waving for taxi from distance. I stopped to ask if she wants a lift and moments later she was sitting beside me, blabbered her story of lost love and how she came to this city to find a job and be independent. I stopped the car by the coffee junction and tried the famous all-boys-are-not-the-same dialogues. She sipped the coffee. Her pink glossy lips! Her dark kohl lined eyes twinkled while she used the end of her yellow bandhni dupatta to hold the cup. I hoped to help her settle down and ask her out. She was just the sober girl I could take to Mumma. Yes. I dropped her to her cousin’s. We got down from the car, she came closer and I could only admire her perfection. She was tall and fair, well spoken, sensible. She was just perfect. Now was my turn to ask for the next date. ‘Pizza at 7? Pizza at 7!’ I was rehearsing in my mind when she said ‘Thank you! It felt so nice to meet such a wonderful brother figure so far away from home.’ Well. Right.

I opened the apartment door with my spare keys and there you were. Sitting on the couch with baggy shorts and my t-shirt which was definitely not your size. Without shifting your eyes from the TV screen you said ‘So no luck today again my speed dating sweet?’
'What the hell. How did she know?'
I nodded and sat beside her. She got up, brought me a cheese sandwich. I was so hungry, exhausted and comforted at the same time that I had to kiss her on the forehead. I smiled and said ‘Good company, good food and a good movie. In any order’ and she brought us a big sundae, settled on the couch, looked at the TV, and then me, and said, ‘I know’.





No comments: