Thursday, September 17, 2020

Mohaloya 2020 and How!

 Mahalaya!

In 2012, I woke up shivering from a consistent 10-day long fever on a Mahalaya morning. I remember the huge weight loss and consecutive hair loss that had come in. I remember Maa not allowing me to sleep in my room which is on a different floor than hers, and doctors advising me to sleep separate. My taste, appetite and zeal were an all time low. Khichdi and mosquito nets were my consistent partners and my usual ami-r-bachbona thoughts, everyday. My bed was made in the hall, right beside my mother’s room so that she could check on me every 2 hours, even in the night. I do not think any phase of my life had made me so weak physically. I cursed the epic Kellogs K diet I had taken just to look slim and the corresponding series of fevers, vitamin deficit, immunity loss, tests and the likes.

Maa woke me up at 4, I thought she would do the usual fever check, but she asked if I would want to give Mahalaya a miss that year and sleep. I of course said no, she of course knew it. Next, the radio was kept between the rooms, tuned to Akashbani Kolkata, and “Aswiner Shaarodo Praate” filled in the house! It was one of my earliest introductions to goosebumps where suddenly, for one full hour, I felt happy!
“Maa ashchhe, ami morbona”- well I have always been dramatic like that!

Today, after 5 years, I had the privilege to actually tune into a radio to listen to Mahalaya and not the usual Youtube. Today, for the first time ever in my life I woke Maa up at 4. Today, like every Mahalaya morning, I felt happy.

Maa ashchhe :)
As long as I don’t jinx myself again that is -_-




No comments: