Thursday, December 10, 2015

Bela Sheshe

After almost 15 minutes of trying/wanting to write something about this movie, I still sit with a white screen.
My first brush with the movie happened in the first week of October when I would play all the nonsense and no nonsense Bengali Pujo songs on Youtube. So I came across this O Thakur song (such Kolkata Pujo) and read the reviews and watched a hall print of the same. I almost convinced half the world to watch the hall print for the sheer perfection that the movie is. Yesterday I discovered the good print on Youtube, YAY aa gaya so I would request the other half of the world, the naak uchu and my love types, to PLEASE watch this movie and THINK.

I have never been a fan of Bengali movies but then, Swatilekha reminded me of Dida while she sang “Bhobo shagoro tarono” with the grandchildren over the terrace, or while she did tel maalish to the boro natni. When she ran around the kid with bhaat or when she slipped away for random shit serial. She was everything that my Dida has been, except for the unappreciated wife. Their relationship however reminded me of my own, rather the absence of it and here comes another reason why I want everyone to watch this. I believe they should make it a compulsion for all separated couples to watch this movie together.

There is a dialogue (various dialogues in fact) where one talks of the subtle line between bhalobasha and obbhyesh while the other defines how, for some, obbhyesh tai bhalobasha. I cannot even write an inch of the awesomeness that the dialogues are. The wall clock and Pabda machh disappointments, like everyone else, just so normal, just so perfect. Add everything else with the scenes of ‘Khowai’, the moonlit night Kopai nodir dhare, the movie can make one to cry on a lonely Friday night, change your mind probably. Please! “milon hobe kotodine’ actually made me homesick, and wonder how home is a concept. And what happens when you are abandoned from home because? Just because.
The game that they play at Bolpur (and Bolpur WILL make you nostalgic for Bangla, if you’ve ever been to Shantiniketan and/or shonibarer haat), somewhat like the one we played with the entire group at lake during college days, nobody is interested anymore to know, however I would play anyway, because one day I believe, one day, and so
I wish to go: London eye te, with an ice cream and you
I wish to be: at peace
I wish to have: you
I wish to meet: Ranvijay

All the piled up things that were not said in the five lives that they show in the movie, and the songs. The ‘tumi robe nirobe’ instrumental that I can play on loop forever these days, or the “o j mane na mana” can actually choke you with the lyrics, if you happen to understand that is. Could you possibly ever understand so much Bangla?
Ami joto boli tobe, ebar j jete hobe, duare daraye bole nan a na, o j mane na mana…

This movie is plain beautiful. The official trailer that they had where the directors said,
kintu ponchash bochhor por o era jante chay, kuri bochhor por o era chhnute chay, sholo bochhor por o era pete chay, dosh bochhor por o era j kadte chay, paanch bochhor por o era j ador chay’ actually would give you goosebumps. Unlike reality, this movie ends on a positive note, people get back their loves and continue with their happy ever afters.


However, the defining line of the movie says,
“haater opor haat rakha khub shohoj noy
shara jibon boite para shohoj noy”  
Kintu etotai ki kothin?
Do watch. Youtube has a fine print now :)

4 comments:

amrita said...

Yes liked the film, though I watched the hall print too :( In many ways I can draw a parallel, of coming on my own, being self reliant and the habit. I was reading it is amazing to find someone who would listen to the thoughts in your head .... when I am 64 !

Abhishikta said...

It is amazing to find someone like that at all ages I am sure. Even when they kick you out sometime later :D

Unknown said...

I happened to watch this movie today and was writing an article on relationship while I came across your blog.
Bhalo laglo pore.Bhalo thak tui.

Unknown said...

I happened to watch this movie today and was writing an article on relationship while I came across your blog.
Bhalo laglo pore.Bhalo thak tui.