Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Aaj Kuch Toofani Karte Hain


Okay yeah, a very very hyped up and pumped up title for this level trek but trust me, it’s something I am going to remember for a very long time.



As briefed, we started off for Anthergange at 10pm. Ria somewhere announced while the traveler started to cross the Silkboard Signal that ‘Hey guys, amra by the way Kuntibetta jachhi’ and we, as nice friends were still fine, as long as we still have the night trek swag. Food and some more food rounds later, at around 12:30, we still found ourselves at the Banshakri empty crossing. Why? Because Ria cannot be stern to anybody but me. Yeah! Let’s not get into this.

I was a little skeptic the moment our driver said that we won’t take the Kanakpura road because I was sure we would cross Guruji’s ashram on the right. Ajay kept on telling me I have trust issues. However, past Mysore road, past Rasta café, past Sholay hills of Ramnagara, we found ourselves at the Sula Vineyards. Now, I remember eating away Ankita’s head to come with m to the Nasik Sula Vineyards but then, when you find yourself on such a pitch dark night in the middle of the vineyard, it can be a little scary. However, the 9 of us got down for briefing and tea (chips and extra fat for me). Last time washroom scene and final 20kilometers later, we reached our base destination. For all those who actually read and remembered, no we did not reach Kuntibetta, we reached Narayangiri instead. And yes, Ria booked treks randomly, after shots, and, has no idea :D



Next was about 1.5 hours trek, with a backpack, a sleeping bag, shared torch and danda! Bangalore has been finally seeing a lot of rain lately and hence, rocks were slippery and rock gaps were muddy. I remembered Maa who told me one million times to buy trek shoes that morning  and I was too paka and went on with the converse. Mothers, how they always are right. However, I was tired within the first 10 minutes. It was very very sweet of Ajay to go I front and then come back after every couple of minutes to make sure everyone was in line. Last 30 minutes, although looked the easiest, was a little tough, for the rocks were slippery and there was no place for the grip of the danda. Also, the water on the rocks and my converse were not the best of friends. Add this to low placed and semi circular one sided railings to half formed steps at night, it was more dangerous than what it sounds. I stopped to look at the distant Ramnagara village’s few white lights. Nishita kept on telling me not to stop but I could not take my eyes off the view behind. Not even the Kolkata aerial view at night looked that perfect.

Panting and tired, we reached the hill top. There was bonfire and few other groups. No, we could not check the boys, or the girls for that matter since we were freezing already. Our little stunt of carrying on, on one corner of the hill top was flop and soon, we were all inside the sleeping bags, under the stars. I remember sleeping under the stars on a khatiya  at Dongargarh when I was a kid but that was nothing compared to this. Somebody said it was like a proper ZNMD moment but not just because I hate Katrina, it WAS a much better experience than what they showed or tried showing in the movie. I was at absolute peace when there was music from JBL, silence otherwise and a millions stars up above the world so high.




We of course missed the sunrise, woke up with clouds and fog all around because it was time for descent. Going down was more difficult because now, in light, we knew how narrow or steep the way was. Maybe I’m not fit for this but my legs shook the moment I stopped walking. And yes of course, in the last and final jump from the last rock to plain land, I tripped and fell with a knee bruise to remember the trek :)

After breakfast, these website people upgraded us to a free Kayaking at Manchanbele (okay so Ria is not that high and lost after all). Yay Yay Yay. This followed by a jump to the river. Yes it was deep and yes I had life jacket. Also, yes, I jumped various times in the wrong technique. Body pain? Leg pain? Arm pain? Yes, all of those followed from Monday morning after the night sleep and I had trouble taking a simple step. But those of course came later, I had just made great memories and checked a few items from the wishlist.


Night under stars. Check.
Jump in the river. Check.
And,
Oh did I miss writing about this meeting with a snake during the night trek? Ha Ha Ha.

:)


3 comments:

amrita said...

Life is all about Just do it - and how you did that.....well done beautiful...live it up - Katrina be damned ;)

Abhishikta said...

Oh aunty, how much your comment lifted up my spirits :D

amrita said...

Anytime .....:)