Thursday, June 21, 2012

"You rarely win, but sometimes you do"

I wanted you to see what courage really is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. Its when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.
-To Kill A Mocking Bird


The idea of courage and freedom are taking multifarious tolls in my head.Is it courage that lets me sit at the C# classes everyday and face my inner demons or is it the lack of courage which does not let me quit the training that makes no sense (to me)? Leaving the good old topic of depression aside, I always thought freedom is an illusion.

The freedom of waking up whenever the heart desires, the freedom of having chocolate cake at 3am in the morning, the freedom of saying the most absurd things, all fall under the illusion of freedom, of the stereotyped invisible strings of rules.


 School, college, job, marriage, children- And she lived happily ever after.
And what if she wanted to be a waitress at the pizza hut for a few months? Or become a nun at the hills?
Life revolves around a set of strange rules and the twisted and self modified versions of freedom are mere illusions. 


The Courage to be Free is a far cry. It definitely is beyond my reach. 


Photograph Courtesy: Ritobrata Kundu


And if this blog sounds too gloomy,the effect is done by the 3hours class everyday which will last for 30long days. Everyday seems like the repetition of the other. I am extremely disturbed and disgusted at my shortcomings.
And if I survive this training and this summer, the most difficult one ever, for once, I'll be (shamelessly) proud of myself.
Amen.


P.S. I am losing all my hair. Boyesh hoye gelo!

5 comments:

amrita said...

Harper Lee's book is one of my favorite...Cannon remember how many times I read that and how I adored Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch!
Well courage comes in many shades I guess and the thought of living up to expectations ....that's courage! Cos it's so easy to back down and run and say it's not up my street !I would not talk of freedom :)) that's a myth> It's easy being courageous than free(pun intended)! Cheer up, you'll survive :P:P

Abhishikta said...

Awww thank you so much :)
and yes this too shall pass 8-)

Abhro said...

arre koto chap! pati training to! computer e game khelbi, last e certificate nibi, bindaas!

Abhishikta said...

ha shei :/
i still remember the IBM guy pointing towards you and sujoy saying "oitto tomar oi bondhura toh java ta bhalo pare bolechhe, shikhe nebe oder theke" :D

go design GOOGLE :P

Abhro said...

done! next ki? and oi IBM guy ke transfer e kore dilo to iraq, omni comment korar jonno.. :D