Sunday, April 27, 2014

A movie called Apur Panchali released and the trailer at 2 states told me it had scenes from the trilogy. I am not too proud to admit that I have only watched and read Pather Panchali. Read, because it was a part of our class V syllabus and watched because I wanted how the book has been painted. Now, before watching Apur Panchali, I wanted to watch ‘Aparajito’ and ‘Apur Sansar’. I did not bother reading the books because the death of Durga had taken my interest away already with the first book.

So yesterday, when I was utterly bored, I started to watch Aparajito and paused and eventually got a little bored at the speed and closed VLC after about 20minutes. Also since I had not read the book, I was finding it difficult to concentrate.

The reason why I write this is because a small scene really made me think and over think. There was a scene when ‘Sharbojaya’ declares that there is milk for the husband as well in the ‘chhoto baati’ (small bowl). Now, everyone who knows about ‘Apu’ and ‘Durga’ are aware of their financial status. ‘Horihor’, the husband had happy eyes that he too, other than his ‘khoka’ (the son) will get milk every day. He enters the small kitchen, finds his bowl of milk and relishes it with a ‘bah’. All that was alright. Now, the catch. After he finishes his bowl, he goes to tap that his wife was using to wash the dishes. He takes the same water that was used for dish washing from the tap into his bowl, and drinks that water. Because? He wanted to waste not even the last bit of the milk that was his luxury food. And he was not one bit unhappy. Apu was the usual us though.


That is it. Ei gorome r lekha jabena. Interpret  and over think if you have the time and heart. 


No comments: