Sunday, August 9, 2015

Phir tu taqalluf chhod kar, Phir tu jhuka kar ke nazar, Rakhna mere kaandhe pe sar, Zindagi...

Sunday afternoon and a little time before another food overdose and lots of things to say so that I just read and smile and/or (most definitely feel sad for the pessimist that I am) feel sad, few years down the line, if at all I survive that long.

Yesterday’s visit to the station was very exciting. The sight of the Howrah-Yashwantpur at the station, standing all empty made me want to go back to the place where a few people love me still (little mercies)! Met Sejuti’s parents today. The way Uncle held Aunty’s hand throughout, made me misty eyed. Aunty suffers from Dementia and Uncle has been so patient with her ever since. I could capture the moment he started praising Aunty’r singing and teaching and Headmistress-hood, play it over and over again in my head to believe that there still are people who love constantly and consistently, COME WHAT MAY. Aunty, who understands very little of what is going on around only trusts Uncle, who does not shout at her, even with the constant nagging, domestic help, medical help, and what not. Both of them left their jobs voluntarily when her Dementia was discovered, and today I heard the story again, without even a tinge of regret in his voice. On one hand I was very very happy to see such a couple, so perfect and on the other, I knew I wont have a chance to experience something even remotely similar to that. I know how it is to remind the only person you love so dear that they loved you too, every single day and hoping that they will realise someday. But doing that with such grace, patience, optimism and love, I wonder how much I have been able to do (zero results), I dont know how much I would do. Silently waiting with bunch of complains to God and actually doing all that it takes to keep each other happy are diferent things. Sigh. Maa was so happy when I said “jano arrange marriage eo etto prem” but then, I disappointed her with the reality checks from me. I think she would be able to forgive me someday for this, and the shame that I will bring her. Someday.  



Coming back, today was our first day of college 5years ago. I did not remember this this year. Strange?!? Olivia reminded me in the morning. Poor her, has been tolerating my nonsense for quite sometime. So, day1 of college. Still feels like a dream. Auto-bus-bus-auto and there was Pailan with all of its ugly pretty future days. Olivia very fondly remembered how Sidd sat behind her during the Sem1 finals and it has been a story ever since! I remembered a similar Sem1 physics practical but could not proudly talk about its consistency. Ashamed I am not but to be someone’s story of shame or to be a story of pride kick is not something I particularly enjoy. So as I was saying, college! I don’t even know if I should be thankful for the lifetime of memories and love it brought me or the lifetime of loneliness but yes, if I could, I would happily relive all of that, all over again, even though now I know, what follows eventually. Oh Pailan!



And a little serious thing. Bangalore goli’s are definitely not safe for girls. We were under the impression that Bangalore is as hep and safe as Mumbai and tried a Girls-Are-Brave-Enough stunt, 2:30 at night and got horribly hooted at. And yes, when you face a gang of 10-12 drunk men in the middle of the night with “Raat kete jabe” comments and hooting,  you do not gather the bravery of slapping them back. You walk faster so that the empty goli with ample street light goes out of sight soon. Makes me a weaker individual I know but then, I was afraid. The voice of fear with which Maa scolded me at 11:30 in the morning today, after I woke up, because my phone was off the entire morning was very sweet of her. The new realization that if something ever happens to me, she will be lost. Also, to everyone, there is a Maroon diary on the right hand side of the second rack of my Almirah. Bishakha and Olivia would know what to do with anyway. But yes, Bangalore is not as safe at night as I thought. Definitely not. But to sit and chat on any of the main road pedestals, all through the night and end up with cracked voice the next day is something I could not have done at Kolkata. One new thing that way. Good? Bad? Lets not get into that. However, if I survive myself and  if I adopt a girl child, I will teach her kickboxing. Khub dorkari.

Also, Thank God for the Accenture carnival on Friday. I would have completely broken down after 3 days of continuous depression otherwise. The claps and music somehow saved me from drowning. I would have definitely given up on trying-to-be-enough- for-myself otherwise. And the closing dance performance before I left for the drenched bus ride


2 comments:

amrita said...

No more late night stunts please - stay safe :) As mothers it is the constant prayer that we chant all times. I live with my heart in my mouth.....And enjoy the showers of happiness, cos you deserve the best :)

Abhishikta said...

The trying to be like everyone stunt gone in vain et al :)