Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Hell Freezes Over




I still remember the day our first desktop came, Mejdamoni copied his entire hard disc content. Those were the days when he took pride in ‘amar 40GB memory te 30GB gaan’ and Baba was like ‘amar Computer e kintu 80GB’
That was when he introduced me to The Eagles saying ‘Guria, ei gaanta shunishni? Ki r korli tahole jibone. Shon shon’. Honestly, if you wake up a little girl from her sleep, her favorite afternoon nap mind you, and tell her to concentrate on the intro to a ket song, it is not a good idea. But, I remember how much I idolized Mejdamoni in those days and when he added that some XYZ% of the world population listen to this song around the clock, I really rubbed my eyes off and started to listen.

No, I did not understand the lyrics in one go. Finally, he understood my pain, connected the new Computer to the BSNL internet (where the number of minutes you are online = no of call charge X2) and we got the lyrics. Then, he went on explaining how some believe it has a horror tinge to it and how some believe it is about a mental hospital, he gave his version as well. The little girl that I was, I made sure I know the path to this album ‘D tarpor Music tarpor MyMusic[English] tarpor THE Eagles tarpor Hotel California’ by heart.
Then of course I grew up with the song, not because it is one of the most amazing songs ever, which it is, but because Mejdamoni said it was the best and so it was, the BEST.

Woke up to the news of Glenn Frey’s death today and all those years of singing his songs by heart, in wrong pronunciation, flashed. And then, I came back to Smita in the evening and made her listen to Hotel California because I still remember how Mejdamoni had said, ei gaanta na shunle ki r korli jibone

Sail well, you too and have a great jam with Bowie up above the world so high

2 comments:

amrita said...

The deaths these days make me realize time is closing in for our generation. The icons that we grew up with are on transition mode - Ode to mortality ! I learnt Hotel California by heart from Sun magazine - they used to publish the lyrics and I painstakingly copied them in my blue song diary. Once when I could sing the entire song correctly Abhro was surprised, cos he always laughed at my choice of music.
You brought back memories of another day - of Radio ga-ga !
Loved this blog !

Abhishikta said...

Thank you! 2016 has quite been a year of deaths till now. R hobena karor death, abhi toh sab jawan hai ^_^